The 2018 Spring Sponsored Artist season runs from February 1st through May 31st, 2018.
Apply online at highconceptlabs.org/apply
High Concept Labs’ Sponsored Artist Program is designed to promote the growth of artists and their work through the donation of customizable, no-cost support services including:
- Rehearsal, workshop and performance space
- Administrative and production assistance
- Communications and design support
- Audience development and media outreach
- Artistic consultation
- Photo and video documentation
- Strategic networking for partnerships, funding, and creative collaborators
- Teaching and workshop opportunities
- Participation in HCL Artist Critique sessions
- Field-based or cross-disciplinary mentorship
- and more
Projects are chosen twice a year and last for a period of four months. Each season is curated to represent emerging and established artists from a range of artistic disciplines. We sponsor three paths of development based on different intentions for the end-result of the project.
- Incubation – projects that require services to support the long-term development of a body of work and are not geared toward a public showing.
- Workshop – projects that are geared toward a workshop-showing of work after a period of incubation. The purpose of the showing is to gauge the development of the work and see how it changes in the presence of an invited audience.
- Exhibition/Performance – HCL acts as a producing partner to present a formal exhibition or performance for the public (may or may not also include a period of incubation and/or workshop).
Successful applicants to the Sponsored Artist Program are emerging or established artists or collectives with a history of successful work (need not be in same discipline as application project) and with clear goals for their residency. We do not accept artists currently enrolled in any form of degree program. Accepted artists are chosen to represent an array of artistic practices by members of HCL’s staff and Artistic Advisory Council.
Artists accepted into the program will be expected to attend and participate in the following events:
- Welcome Dinner (February 1, 2018)
- Open House (April 11, 2018)
- Send-Off (May 26, 2018)